- Wiring Electric forklift chargers into our mains. Can you do this?
- How quickly are handpallet trucks despatched?
- Reach truck or 3 wheel counterbalance: which high-lift forklift?
- Fork extensions for my lift truck: what should I be aware of?
- Would you repair / overhaul our own lift trucks at your workshops?
- Electric v Diesel or LPG / Gas? What Power should I choose for my Forklift?
- What is a cosmetic refurbishment?
- What are the different 'types' of forklift truck?
- What are the different sorts of forklift truck mast available?
- What does Full Free Lift mean?
- What is a sideshift?
- What are forklift truck 'load centres?'
- What does 'de-rating' mean, and how do I calculate it?
- What are the different types of forklift truck tyre available?
- Can you fit attachments to our forklift truck?
- What is a LOLER or Thorough Examination?
- Where does the name 'Bendigo Mitchell' come from?
- What wear is permissible on forks, and how is it measured?
- My forklift battery is no longer holding its charge, what should I do?
- Can you fit a camera to our forklift truck to assist with high lifts?
- Can you fit a weighing scale to our forklift truck?
- What does 'Container Spec' mean?
- Forklift truck acronyms & abbreviations
- Are you members of the FLTA (Fork Lift Truck Association)?
- Where is Bendigo Mitchell based?
- Who was Brian Nealon?
- What forklift truck do I need?
- What is a forklift truck hydraulic accumulator?
- What is Kion Baoli's background?
- Can you operate a forklift truck on grass tyres?
- Do you offer fork lift driver training?
- What do you know about internet forklift truck companies?
- Which postcodes are near Bendigo Mitchell?
- Do You Sell Hand Pallet Trucks?
- Do you sell forklift truck gas?
- Should I buy or hire my fork lift truck
- What Should I Do If My Forklift Breaks Down?
What is a sideshift?
A sideshift is a mechanism within a forklift truck, controlled by the driver, that allows the load carried to be moved to the left and the right. It is particularly useful for when operating in tight environments, and for positioning loads on racking without having to move the truck itself.
Sideshifts are either fitted by the manufacturer, and integral to the mechanism of the forklift truck, or fitted as a supplementary component.
Supplementary sideshifts do have implications on a truck's nominal capacity as it will de-rate its lifting capacity. The reasons for this being two-fold:
- The sideshift mechanism itself carries weight, so takes up a proportion of the truck's capacity
- The sideshift pushes the load centre of the truck out (see 'load centres')